What is Nose Revision (Revision Rhinoplasty)?
Nose Revision (Revision Rhinoplasty) creates a smoother and more natural looking nose, which will even work to heal your mind.
You need to undergo revision rhinoplasty (nose surgery), if you are experiencing any of the following cases: your nose shape is different from what you expected after rhinoplasty (nose surgery), you have an excessively high bridge after rhinoplasty (nose surgery), the tip of your nose is excessively sharp, seriously shifting implant or implant transparency and your nose implant is collapsed or you have an inflamed nose after rhinoplasty (nose surgery). Revision rhinoplasty (nose surgery) requires much more advanced techniques and experience than rhinoplasty (nose surgery) so you are advised to get revision rhinoplasty (nose surgery) from our well-experienced surgeons.
|Surgery Duration||2 hours||Anesthesia||Anesthesia with sedation or local anesthesia|
|Hospitalization||Not Required||Removal of Stitches||5~7 days after the operation|
|Number of Postoperative visits||2~3 times||Recovery Period||7 days after stitches removal|
The majority of individuals who have received primary rhinoplasty forgo getting revision rhinoplasty because they think it is too risky to try. More likely, they don’t trust revision rhinoplasty itself due to the disappointment and distrust about nose surgery that they developed from the failure of their primary surgery. However, we strongly recommend you to rid yourself from this mindset and to regain confidence and trust in revision rhinoplasty.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to receive revision rhinoplasty, we recommend a patient to get this surgery within 1~2 weeks after their primary rhinoplasty(nose surgery). Otherwise, he or she may have to wait at least 6 months (even over 1 year depending on your health condition) before undergoing extensive surgery. The reason for these few months of waiting are to give enough time until your nose tissue have calmed and have become soft.
There are several scenarios when you should take revision rhinoplasty right after the primary rhinoplasty(nose surgery), which are as follows:
01. Inflamed nose (infection).
02. Uneven implant (deviated implant).
03. The top and/or the tip of your nose has severely turned into red and your nose skin has become excessively thin.
We recommend Nose Revision (Revision Rhinoplasty) to:
01. Those whose implant is slanted, shifting or visible.
02. Those whose tip or bridge turns red.
03. Those who have extremely operated looks.
04. Those whose nose is inflamed.
05. Those whose nose turns into a snub nose or the length of nose is shortened.
Types of Revision
1. Slanted implant
2. Movable implant
We will remove the slant implant, which doesn’t fit to your nasal base, and the readjusted implant will be inserted into your nose. However, if your nasal skin became thin, then we will operate by returning your nasal skin to its original thickness. The thin skin will be augmented with dermis, corium or fascia.
|The implant will be movable if it’s inserted under the skin layer and not under the fascia of the nasal bone. It can be corrected by precisely re-positioning the implant under the fascia. However, if the fascia is already damaged that won’t be able to hold the implant tightly. Goretex or autologous materials can be used to prevent movement instead of Silicone.|
|3. Visible implant||4. Skin turns red or white|
|The implant can become visible due to skin thinning. We reinforce the thin skin by dermis (or artificial dermis) or Fascia. If the condition of the nose has become bad, we would remove the silicone and use only autologous materials (dermo fat) or cartilage to heighten the nasal bridge.||The skin turning red or white is due to poor blood circulation that is caused by skin thinning. If this condition is not corrected quickly, the skin will get thinner and the silicone inside can penetrate the skin. We would remove the silicone or cartilage causing this problem and correct the thin skin of dorsum and tip by reinforcing it with artificial or autologous dermis.|
|5. Visible contours||6. Contracted nose (upturned nose)|
|The contours of an implant can become visible due to the difference between the width of the implant and the width of the nasal bone base. We would change the silicone to a suitable one and reinforce the stretched and weaken skin of the nasal bridge by dermis, artificial dermis or fascia.||
For upturned nose surgery, using either cartilage grafting techniques of nasal septum or rib cartilage grafting techniques can bring a very positive result. This surgery releases the agglutination between all scarred tissues and separates the capsular tissues, pulls the cartilage of the nasal tip downwards to a proportional length and position, and fixes the tip through use of nasal cartilage or rib cartilage.
|7. Demarcation of the implant on sides||8. Side effects due to injection of illegal substances|
|The demarcation of the implant on the bridge of the nose is sometimes distinctive, especially when smiling. We revise this situation by extending the length of the detached implant from the nose and grinding the tip of the implant to be thinner in order to not to give a burden on the tip of the nose.
|It is impossible to thoroughly remove illegal substances, however, we try our best to remove the substances to the maximum extent possible. Then we operate by using of autologous cartilages, usually using dermis fat or chest cartilage.
The level of the surgery is determined based on the conditions of the diffusibility of illegal substances. This surgery involves an advanced level of operation and requires an abundance of experience and expertise. You are advised to receive this surgery from a well-experienced and skilled surgeon.
Side effects of injection of illegal substances
Many individuals have received injections of illegal substances injection from quack doctors (illegal doctors or not certified plastic surgeons). These practices were prevalent in the past, but still occur even today. Even though the quacks (illegal doctors or not certified plastic surgeons) say that they use collagen or botox injections, they actually use silicone or paraffin injections. Both silicone and paraffin can easily be spread to your tissue once these are injected into your body, thus it is very difficult to remove them. Although you don’t see any problems initially after the illegal injection, the side effects can suddenly occur a few years or tens of years later. You should never receive any of these kinds of injections of illegal substances. The side effects include inflammation, discoloration of skin, tissue necrosis, falling out of illegal substances, causeless headaches, and more.
9. Hump nose has reoccurred.
It is possible that the bridge of the nose reverts back to an hump nose or the nasal tip turns low or becomes slanted.
We operate by cutting the muscle (depression of nose tip muscle), which pulls down the nasal tip, inside of the short nasal columella.
10. Excessive removal of hump.
Your nose can have a deep set as a result of excessive removal of nasal bone or nasal cartilage during rhinoplasty. This sunken area can be filled with autologous of cartilage or dermis transplantation.
11. Can’t make pig-like nose or rigid nose tip.
In case the implant is filled up to the nasal tip, you can’t make a pig-like nose or the nose tip becomes rigid.
It is important to maintain the natural nasal tip and for this, any kinds of implants should never be inserted up to the nasal tip.
12. Allergic reaction to silicone.
Silicone allergy would be a rare occurrence. The allergic reaction can appear as swelling of nasal tip or glabella; repeated swelling and decreasing; the swelling area becomes soft and mushy; and the surgical areas turn to red.
In these cases, the silicone in your nose should be removed and replaced with safe new materials or autologous.
13. Inverted V Deformity.
This refers to an upside-down V-shaped indentation between the end of the nasal bones and the start of the upper lateral cartilages, along the top of the bridge. The main cause of inverted V deformity is the result of following hump removal in rhinoplasty, the upper lateral cartilages has fallen against the septum and this valve has become significantly narrowed. Other than this reason, most other cases are the result of wounds. This can be corrected by transplanting cartilage of nasal septum.
14. Collapsed tip of the nose (cartilage of the nasal tip).
If the side cartilage of the nose collapses during inspiration (breathing in), it causes breathing difficulties as the nostril is being blocked. This surgery is performed for nose function rather than aesthetic purposes. To raise the drooping tip of the nose, a part of the ear-cartilage is implanted to provide nasal tip support.
15. Excessively high or low bridge.
The height of the nose bridge can be readjusted if a patient is dissatisfies for a personal reason. It is a comparably easy and simple operation amongst other revision rhinoplasty surgeries.
16. Subjective dissatisfaction appearance of profile line.
Some individuals prefer a straight-edged shape of nose and some others prefer a turned-up nose.
If a patient isn’t satisfied with his/her profile line shape of their nose, by simply readjusting the implant, the correction can be conducted. However, some cases have to be accompanied with the surgery of raising or lowering of nasal tip.
17. Functional problems
Some people may have septal deviation or turbinate problem. The diagnosis of a deviated septum can be made by your doctor. Your doctor will perform a thorough evaluation of your symptoms and will examine your nose. We straighten the cartilage and bone that have led to the septum being deviated.
The turbinates are made of bone and soft tissue. Either the bone or the soft tissue can become enlarged. In most patients, enlargement of the soft tissue part of the turbinate is the major problem when the turbinates become swollen. When the turbinates are large, they are called hypertrophic turbinates. We shrink the size of turbinates to improve nasal obstruction.
The nasal tip revision requires diverse surgical experiences and skills of surgeon.
※ You are required to pay special attention to yourself in order to care for any complications, including bleeding, inflammation and infection, following the operation.
JW’s Nose Revision (Revision Rhinoplasty)
- 1. Post-operative management system to prevent 2nd revision surgery
- 2. Special pain-relieving treatment after anesthetic operation
- 3. Customized surgery by a nose revision specialist
- 4. Detailed surgical planning that considers a patient’s nose shape for the next 10 years
- 5. Ongoing revision rhinoplasty research through active academic activities
- 6. Broad surgical experiences and expertise will provide you with a satisfactory result of the operation
JW makes every single preoperative preparation on the same day of the operation for our customers’ convenience.
Nose Revision (Revision Rhinoplasty)
Preoperative and postoperative treatment
01. Preoperative preparation
- 01. You must stop taking blood clot and thrombus related medications, including oral contraceptive pills, hormone drugs, vitamin E and aspirin, at least 2 weeks before an operation. If you are undergoing treatment for high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and thyroid disease, you must inform your doctor or consultant prior to surgery.
- 02. Stimulants in cigarettes or tobacco can cause phlegm or sneezing and can lead to bleeding after an operation, therefore, we advise you to stop smoking for 3 days before an operation.
- 03. Additionally, if you have a serious cold on the same of an operation, your trachea and respiratory organs could be abnormal, thus you should inform about your body condition to your doctor or consultant prior to surgery.
- 04. We recommend you to clean your body with a mild soap on the same day of an operation in advance. Also, you must remove your contact lenses, accessories made of precious metal, nail polish and make-up, which can interrupt the operation, before you visit the hospital.
- 05. You must stop eating any foods at least 12 hours before an operation.
- 06. We recommend you to wear comfortable clothes, which won’t stimulate the surgical areas, facial mask, a cap/hat and sunglasses. We also recommend you to commute to here by public transportation and accompany with a guardian.
02. Postoperative treatment
- 01. Place the surgical areas higher than your heart in order to help to reduce swelling.
- 02. Please apply an ice pack around the surgical site for 3 days after an operation, and then apply a warm pack around the site after the 3 days.
- 03. Please avoid severe friction and acupressure massage around a surgical site at least for 1 month after an operation, and only use a sauna or hot bath after 1 month from the operation day.
- 04. Please avoid drinking alcohol and smoking, which may delay the recovery of your scars from an operation, at least 4 weeks after an operation.
- 05. Light exercise such as light walking is allowed to do from the right after an operation, however, heavy exercise such as aerobic, tennis, swimming, and etc. should be avoided at least 3~4 weeks after an operation.